|West Penn 832 returned from Brookville Equipment and reunited with fellow 832 from New Orleans||The official company photo showing 832 as built, 1929 at Banning Siding on the line between Connellsville and Leisenring. (New York Studios photo)|
|Car Number||832||Car Builder||Cincinnati Car Company|
|Year Built||1929||Year Acquired||1952|
|Type||DE Curved-Side Interurban||Seats||48|
|Height||10'7"||Weight||32,000 lbs (16 tons)|
|Motors||WH 1425A||Status||ongoing restoration in PTM shop since July 2011|
A dozen of these lightweight, "curved-side" cars were acquired for West Penn's Allegheny Valley Street Railway during the 1929-30 winter. Introduced on Valentine's Day 1930, they afforded patrons the finest accommodations of the day on the routes between Aspinwall, New Kensington and Natrona. Company accountants liked them, too, because they required one crewman instead of two.
After the Valley Route was abandoned in 1937, the cars were moved to the company's Coke Region division, where they ran on routes to Latrobe, Fairchance, Phillips and South Connellsville. 832 was the last of the series in service, finishing up on the South Connellsville route at the end of rail operations in 1952.
832 was the second car acquired for the Museum, and is the only car of its type to be preserved intact.
Along with Pittsburgh Railways M1 and 3756, 832 came to the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum siteunder its own power on February 7, 1954 along the former Washington interurban right of way.
Click on the thumbnails below for larger photos (will open in new window):
|Dedication on Valentine's
Day 1930. Llawnipsa Street, Aspinwall.
(West Penn Railways photo, Miller Library collection)
|832 at Connellsville Terminal, 5/30/1952
(William C. Janssen photo, Krambles-Peterson archive)
|832 at Pittsburgh Railways' Ingram
Carhouse in 1953
(Miller Library, PTM)
|832, 3756 and M1 near Morganza en route to their
future home on 2/7/1954
(Miller Library, PTM)
|Car 832 and Pittsburgh Railways escort 4921 prepare to depart Charleroi CH. 5/10/1953||832 passes over Drake Loop in Upper St. Clair on way to its new home in Washington County. 2/7/1954||Trolley Display Building, 2005
(John Smatlak photo)
|Arthur Ellis and John Baxter proudly pose in front of 832 at Castle Shannon.
May 10, 1953
Last updated March 7, 2013
All content copyright © 1996-2010, Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. All rights reserved.