|Trolley Display Building, 2005 (John Smatlak photo)|
|Car Number||606||Car Builder||The Budd Company|
|Year Built||1960||Year Acquired||1998|
|Type||DE Rapid Transit||Seats||54|
|Height||12'1"||Weight||51,500 lbs (26 tons)|
|Motors||WH 1454||Status||on display as seen above|
America's largest cities employ subways and elevated railways to get transit vehicles off the streets and provide true rapid transit. Philadelphia's Market-Frankford Subway-Elevated line was such a facility, built in stages between 1903 and 1922.
Car 606 is one of the stainless steel cars built in 1960 to replace all of the original equipment, and was owned throughout its service life by the City of Philadelphia, which donated the car to the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in 1998.
Click on the thumbnails below for larger photos (will open in new window):
|Interior of 606
||Motorman's controls in 606
||Train during testing in 1960||Article on the introduction of the new
cars to the Market-Frankford line
Last updated September 28, 2010
All content copyright © 1996-2010, Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. All rights reserved.