Monongahela West Penn 274

Trolley Display Building, 2008 274 at Clarksburg in 1935
(Frank J. Goldsmith photo, Fred W. Schneider III collection)

 

Car Number 274 Car Builder Jewett Car Company
Year Built 1918 Year Acquired 1974
Type DE Interurban Combine Seats 54
Length 50'10" Width 8'6"
Height 13'0" Weight 55,000 lbs
Motors WH 306 Status Trolley Display Building Exhibit

West Virginia had limited streetcar service compared to Pennsylvania.  It was confined to the major cities, with Monongahela Valley Traction the most important company.  In 1923, the company was bought by the Pittsburgh-based West Penn System, which also operated trolleys in Wheeling as well as in Western Pennsylvania.

Car 274 was modern for its time, featuring all-steel construction and multiple-unit control, and initially served the Fairmont-Clarksburg-Weston route.  A large freight door allowed transportation of commodities.  In 1937, the car was transferred to the Parkersburg-Marietta division before being retired three years later.

Car 274 is a member of the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum's "lived-in" fleet - it served, with a sister car, for more than two decades as a summer cottage in Southeast Ohio before coming to the Museum in 1974.

Click on the thumbnails below for larger photos (will open in new window):

274, showing baggage end and alignment of car in next photo
(John Smatlak photo)

274 built as a cottage with sister car 272 near Coolville, OH
(William Fronczek photo)
End detail of 274, showing Multiple Unit connectors.
(John Smatlak photo)
Interior detail of 274,
showing art glass.
(John Smatlak photo)
< Previous
Next >

 

Last updated November 28, 2010
All content copyright © 1996-2010, Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. All rights reserved.
s