|2723 in the GOH (General Overhaul) paint scheme that PTM plans to exhibit the car.||As SEPTA 2723 in the 1980's (Greg Mielke collection)|
|Car Number||2723||Car Builder||St. Louis Car Company|
|Year Built||1947||Year Acquired||1995|
|Height||10'3"||Weight||37,990 lbs (19 tons)|
The Philadelphia Transportation Company (PTC) also had a large fleet of PCC streamliners, of which 2723 represents one of the post WWII models. Originally built for service on the busy 23-Germantown Avenue line, the car came equipped for 2-man operation. While this was the norm during the heyday of the trolley (1900-1930), it was almost unheard of in 1947, but traffic on the route more than covered the extra operating cost.
As PTC gave way to SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) in 1968, the 2700s continued in service and remained after several trolley lines had been discontinued. Because of their age, many cars (2723 and sister car 2711, also at the Museum) went through a general overhaul rebuilding in the 1980s to extend their useful life another ten years. When that time was up new cars were acquired and cars of this series were surplus. Many of them were rebuilt into new cars by Brookville Equipment Company, Brookville, Pennsylvania. Some of these cars operate today in Philadelphia while others became part of the Market Street Railway historic operation in San Francisco.
Click on the thumbnails below for larger photos (will open in new window):
|Following the Blackpool Boat Tram in 1976 during the Bicentennial Celebration (Greg Mielke collection)||Rebuilt PCC cars are in use today on the 15 Girard Avenue line which serves the Philadelphia Zoo.
Last updated February 5, 2011
All content copyright © 1996-2011, Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. All rights reserved.